Cheryl A. Waterhouse
Partner, Chair of Environmental Practices
Cheryl Waterhouse is a Founding Partner at Donovan Hatem. In her practice, she represents professionals, including architects, engineers, environmental engineers and consultants, accountants, and attorneys, in the defense of malpractice claims in federal and state courts and in non-binding mediations. She also regularly counsels these clients on risk management and contract issues.
In addition, Cheryl practices in the employment law area. She counsels clients on workplace issues, develops and drafts policies and employee handbooks, advises and assists with compliance with federal and state laws and regulations, and provides counsel on hiring, termination, employment contracts and termination agreements. She also regularly represents clients in discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination and other employment disputes in federal and state court and before administrative agencies.
Cheryl also has over twenty years of environmental law experience. She handles matters involving state and federal hazardous waste laws, as well as permitting and other environmental issues that arise for businesses. She also represents environmental professionals in malpractice claims and represents licensed site professionals in Board proceedings.
Admitted to Practice
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Business and Professional Associations
- Boston Architectural College (Trustee)
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- ACEC (Board of Directors, Insights)
- Boston University School of Law (J.D.)
- Dartmouth College (B.A.)
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, “Remote Workers – Legal Issues and Managing Risk”, ACEC/MA (August 2020)
- Speaker, “Remote Work: Issues & Considerations for Employers ” ACEC/MA HR Forum (Aug 2020)
- Speaker, “Inclusion and Diversity” ACEC/MA, (Feb. 2020)
- Speaker, “How Bias Can Be Unlawful and What You Can Do To Avoid Liability” ACEC/MA (Feb. 2020)
- Speaker, “Sexual Harassment Prevention” ACEC/MA, (June 2018)
- Speaker, “Employment Practice Issues for Design Professionals,” Donovan Hatem Design Professional Roundtable (Jun. 2016)
- Speaker, “Practice Requirements for Design Professionals,” Donovan Hatem Senior Management Client Session, (Feb. 2016)
- Author, “Accountant Liability for Third Party’s Embezzlement,” The Accountant/Attorney Liability Reporter, (Feb./March 2010)
- Author, “New York Accounting Law Expands Oversight,” The Accountant/Attorney Liability Reporter, (March 2009)
- Author, “Accountant Liability When a Corporation Commits Fraud,” with Eliana Nadar, The Accountant/Attorney Liability Reporter, (March 2009)
- Author, “Law Firm Can Impose Financial Disincentives on Withdrawing Partners,” The Accountant/Attorney Liability Reporter, (March 2009)
- Work Product Doctrine Protection for Tax Accrual Papers on Appeal, co-authored with Mark Szal, Esq., The Accountant/Attorney Liability Reporter, (April 2008)
- Author, “The Importance of Defining the Scope of the Engagement,” The Accountant/Attorney Liability Reporter, (April 2008)
- Author, “Deductibility of Investment Advisory Costs for Estates and Trusts After Knight,” The Accountant/Attorney Liability Reporter, (April 2008)
- Author, “Terminating the Employment Relationship – Carefully,” New England In-House, (Jan. 2005)
- Co-author, “Leasing Commercial Property Containing Hazardous Materials,” Boston Bar Journal, (March/April 1991)
- Reaching the height of professional excellence, Cheryl has received an AV Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
- Cheryl regularly speaks to professionals regarding risk management.