Paul T. Muniz
Paul T. Muniz is Co-Chairman of the Litigation Group and a Partner in the Professional Practices, Insurance & Tort Litigation, and Environmental Practices Groups at Donovan Hatem. Paul has experience in litigating claims involving complex construction issues, intellectual property, breach of fiduciary duty, insurance coverage, reinsurance, unfair trade practices, fraud and other business torts, as well as, claims involving the False Claims Act.
Paul has over 25 years of legal experience. Paul’s prior experience includes participating in the Treasury Department’s Honor Program, serving as Trial Counsel for the Internal Revenue Service, serving as Senior Editor for the New England Law Review and serving as a Lieutenant in the United States Navy as a Surface Warfare Office.
Admitted to Practice
- New Hampshire
- New York
- United States Tax Court
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- United States District Court for the District of New Hampshire
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- New England School of Law (J.D., Magna Cum Laude, 1993)
- Senior Editor, New England Law Review
- New England Scholar, Dean’s List
- American Jurisprudence Awards in Modern Real Estate, Conflict of Laws, and Bankruptcy & Creditors Rights
- College of the Holy Cross (B.A., Economics 1984)
Business and Professional Associations
- Boston Bar Association
- Northeast Health Systems, Board of Trustees
- Director, BankGloucester
- Member, Holy Cross Varsity Club
- Member, American Community Bankers Association
- Former Member, City of Gloucester Capital Improvements Advisory Board
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, Covid-19, Implications for the Design Profession, Design Professional Roundtable (April 2020)
- Speaker, I Really Should Patent That!, Donovan Hatem Design Professional Roundtable (June 2019)
- Panelist, “Design Professional Claim Trends 2019”, 4th Annual Construction Defect ExecuSummit (December 2019)
- Obtained trial victory in a claim filed against professional surveyor client.
- Obtained defense verdict in a claim for gender and sexual harassment filed against a business owner.
- Obtained dismissal of professional negligence claim filed against client arising out of a condominium design.
- Obtained $20 million dollar settlement on behalf of FCA whistleblower client.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of client/tenant in a commercial dispute over lease rights.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of structural engineer and interior designer in defense of claim by condominium owner.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of architect client in $2 million lawsuit filed by Owner of affordable housing complex.
- Obtained dismissal of a claim by subcontractor against engineer alleging negligent design of private university building.
- Obtained dismissal of a personal injury claim by hotel restaurant worker against architect and electrical engineer.
- Obtained dismissal of a lawsuit filed against an employer in wrongful termination employment dispute filed by the employee.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of pump manufacturer in wrongful death claim.
- Obtained dismissal of construction safety firm in lawsuit brought by employee of subcontractor impaled on rebar at construction site.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit filed against client sued in a declaratory judgment action in New York alleging unfair competition.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of engineering firm on claims arising out of stormwater infiltration at a function hall.
- Obtained dismissal of a multi-million lawsuit filed under Oil Pollution Act.
- Obtained dismissal in Charge filed at Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD) against employer client arising out of alleged wrongful termination.